CCFCC - Edmonton:
The winter issue of What's Cooking is here
What new restaurants the editor has checked out, how to get tickets to a really cool event, where to go to eat 'rotten shark', how to support our High School Culinary Challenge, what Blair Lebsack has been up to (besides his new restaurant RGE RD), why James Olberg will be very busy the next few years and much more…
News & Highlights
3rd Annual CCFCC/Saputo Junior Culinary Exchange
– This June three deserving Junior chefs will experience the culinary scene on Vancouver Island first hand. The culinary exchange covers teatime plus a genuine tea farm, quaffing local brews, learning the secrets of real sea salt, observing a functioning educational culinary farm, sizing up a herd of bison, shucking oysters at a beach BBQ, working an organic farm, fishing off the coast for dinner and winds up at the BC Shellfish Festival in the Comox Valley. All costs associated with travel, accommodations, food and events are provided by the CCFCC and sponsoring authorities. Click here to download application.
CCF Edmonton Elections 2014
– This is an election year for our Branch. We are looking for committed and enthusiastic members to step forward to continue the work of the outgoing Board of Directors to make the Branch relevant and exciting for its members. All Board positions are available.
Please let our President, Michael Brown know if are interested or would like more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scholarship Opportunities for Juniors
– There are three. First the CCF Edmonton annually awards two scholarships to NAIT students; one to a 2nd year culinary arts diploma student and one to a 3rd year apprentice cook. This year we are pleased that the scholarship amount is $1,000 each. The deadline for applications is March 31, 2014. Click here to download the application form.
The third scholarship is awarded by the National CCFCC. The amount is $500. The deadline to apply is February 7, 2014. Download the form here.
Alberta Junior Culinary Challenge – March 8, 2014
– Each year we ask our Juniors - Do you have what it takes to compete with Canada's up and coming culinary leaders to earn your place as one of our country’s top aspiring chefs? If the answer is YES, you may want to compete at the 2014 SAPUTO National Junior Culinary Challenge. The winner will represent Alberta at the National competition to be held at the CCFCC National Conference in Gatineau May 28 to June 2, 2014. Click here to download the application form. Download the application form..
Outstanding Member of the Year Nomination
– Each year CCF members have the opportunity to nominate and vote one of their own to receive this award which acknowledges and celebrates a chef member who has made a significant difference to the association and the profession of chef through their work and commitment. Nominations will be accepted until the March 10, 2014, meeting and voting will take place at the April 7th meeting. Click here to download nomination form.
CCI Program News
– The next session of our Certified Chef de Cuisine program has started at NAIT. If you would like to know more about the CCC certification process, contact John Bond by email at email@example.com. The Canadian Culinary Institute’s website is an excellent resource for culinarians wanting to take the next steps. Visit www.ccicc.ca to learn more .about the Certified Chef de Cuisine, Certified Working Chef and the Certified Master Chef programs.
Upcoming Events – March
We encourage you to get involved in your Branch activities, participate, and be part of our community! It is one more tool to help you grow professionally.
High School Culinary Challenge Awards Dinner – March 3, 2014
On February 8, sixteen Edmonton and area high schools competed at NAIT. Find out who the winners are at the Awards Dinner on March 3. You will enjoy the same three-course meal that the competitors prepared for the competition. We will also announce this year’s scholarship winners. Attending this dinner is an excellent way to honour the students and support this worthwhile project. To reserve your spot, download the order form or contact the office at 780-475-2433 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please visit our brand new website to learn more. highschoolculinarychallenge.ca
CCFCC Western Conference – March 7–8, 2014
This year’s CCFCC Western Conference takes place at the Radisson Hotel in Saskatoon. Details are on the Saskatoon’s branch website.
Dinner Meeting – March 10, 2014
Join us for our March dinner meeting at La Shish Taouk in Mayfield Common where we will be treated to a special Lebanese meal. To reserve your spot, contact the office at 780-475-2433 or email email@example.com.
Culinary Slam – March 24, 2014 (Juniors Only)
Using selected mystery ingredients, competitors test their skills and creativity. This is a great opportunity to experience culinary competition and get a taste of what it’s all about. Limited to 10 members. Contact Louie Aquino, Junior Rep at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
hot chefs cool bEATS – March 29, 2014
One of Edmonton’s most exciting culinary events is back! It’s a street food festival; it’s a mini film-festival, food….glorious food transcending any food event this city has ever seen! And beers, and wines and cocktails and coffees and desserts and dancing and movies…
Tickets on sale now.