CCFCC - Edmonton:
The winter issue of What's Cooking is here
Congratulations to Salisbury Composite High School
This year’s High School Culinary Challenge was an absolute success from beginning to end. Sixteen teams competed at NAIT on February 8 and did amazingly well. The skill level gets better every year. Then all the students and coaches were honoured at the March 3 Awards Dinner. Over 400 people came together to celebrate our future culinarians. Congratulations to this year’s winners; Salisbury Composite High School, 1st place; Bellerose Composite High School, 2nd place; and Jasper Place High School; 3rd place. Congratulations also to the four students who were awarded a full scholarship package at NAIT.
News & Highlights
Alberta Junior Culinary Challenge – March 8, 2014
– Seven worthy competitors met at SAIT in Calgary to vie for the right to represent Alberta at the National competition. At the end of the day, Stephanie O’Brien of Calgary came out on top. Louie Aquino of Edmonton came in second and Marshall Bell of Edmonton came third. Stephanie will travel to Gatineau, Quebec, at the end of May to compete in the 2014 SAPUTO National Junior Culinary Challenge at the CCFCC National Conference.
March 10, 2014 Dinner Meeting
– Many, many thanks to our hosts at La Shish Taouk in Mayfield Common for the wonderful food and excellent service. This was clearly one of our most refreshing dinner meetings.
Lobsterfest – June 1, 2014
– Our eighth annual Lobsterfest (hard to believe!) is set to take place Sunday, June 1, 2014 at the Shaw Conference Centre in the Riverview Room. It’s always about fun, family and friends and, of course, lobster! It starts at 4:30 p.m. There will be a ‘funny money’ casino, musical entertainment, a ‘cod’ to kiss, ‘screech’ to taste, door prizes to win, and mussels and oysters to devour! Tickets are only $55 per person (members and non-members). Contact Stephen Kaiser at firstname.lastname@example.org or 780-467-4448, CCF Edmonton at email@example.com or 780-475-2433 for tickets or pick them up at Fin’s Seafood Distributors.
3rd Annual CCFCC/Saputo Junior Culinary Exchange
– This June three deserving Junior chefs will experience the culinary scene on Vancouver Island first hand. The culinary exchange covers teatime plus a genuine tea farm, quaffing local brews, learning the secrets of real sea salt, observing a functioning educational culinary farm, sizing up a herd of bison, shucking oysters at a beach BBQ, working an organic farm, fishing off the coast for dinner and winds up at the BC Shellfish Festival in the Comox Valley. All costs associated with travel, accommodations, food and events are provided by the CCFCC and sponsoring authorities. Click here to download application.
CCF Edmonton Elections 2014
– This is an election year for our Branch. We are looking for committed and enthusiastic members to step forward to continue the work of the outgoing Board of Directors to make the Branch relevant and exciting for its members. All Board positions are available.
Please let our President, Michael Brown know if are interested or would like more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scholarship Opportunities for Juniors
– There are three. First the CCF Edmonton annually awards two scholarships to NAIT students; one to a 2nd year culinary arts diploma student and one to a 3rd year apprentice cook. This year we are pleased that the scholarship amount is $1,000 each. The deadline for applications is March 31, 2014. Click here to download the application form.
CCI Program News
– The current session of our Certified Chef de Cuisine program at NAIT is nearing an end. The candidates will be writing their exams in April and June. The next session starts in September. If you would like to know more about the CCC certification process, contact John Bond by email at email@example.comThe Canadian Culinary Institute’s website is an excellent resource for culinarians wanting to take the next steps. Visit www.ccicc.ca to learn more .about the Certified Chef de Cuisine, Certified Working Chef and the Certified Master Chef programs.
Upcoming Events – April and May
We encourage you to get involved in your Branch activities, participate, and be part of our community! It is one more tool to help you grow professionally.
Dinner Meeting and AGM – April 7, 2014
Join us on April 7 at The Westin Edmonton for our spring dinner meeting and AGM. It is so important that our members support the Branch Executive whose members work so hard all year to keep the Branch running smoothly. To reserve your spot, contact the office at 780-475-2433 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sushi Workshop – May 5, 2014
Back by popular demand is our Sushi Workshop. Nomiya Sushi Restaurant chef extraordinaire, Long Yue, is back! Chef Long will show you what is so unique about maki, nigiri, sashimi, and you will learn how to use a bamboo wrap to create exquisite sushi rolls by replicating an age-old Japanese method. To reserve your spot, contact the office at 780-475-2433 or email email@example.com.
CCFCC National Conference – May 29 - June 2, 2014
This year the conference takes place in Gatineau, Quebec. What better excuse to visit the beautiful country in and around Gatineau! The organizing committee has been working hard to make the conference worthwhile and unforgettable. How often to you get to experience a real, traditional maple sugar shack! Click here to find out more.